Adrienne and Mary Beth have put together THREE days with an AMAZING lineup of interactive sessions that will give you some great background knowledge on working successfully with heritage learners, as well as lots of time to process and apply what you hear about!
We sold out last year, and we know especially in a virtual format, spots will go quickly. Don’t wait to register!
When: Monday-Wednesday June 14-16, 8:45AM-4PM MST
How: This will be designed as an synchronous workshop so we can make it as interactive and collaborative as possible. However, content portion of each session will be recorded and available available until July 14th, 2021 if participants need to miss a session.
Where: Virtual! This workshop will be held over Zoom and will use the Google Drive platform.
Who: This workshop will cater to teachers who teach (or will teach) classes for Spanish heritage speakers at the middle or high school level. This workshop is for both new and experienced teachers, especially those teachers interested in improving their literacy pedagogy and those teachers looking for ways to affirm and value student identities and language practices. Because it is interactive, it is especially valuable for teams to attend together. It is also valuable for curriculum specialists, teacher trainers, and curriculum developers who support heritage teachers.
Additional information and goodies:
- Participants will receive a certificate for hours completed.
- Participants can purchase 1 graduate credit from Colorado State University for $63; follow up work from the course (reflections, etc.) will be due June 30, 2021. Info will be posted here in late June.
- All participants will receive Adrienne’s complete course curriculum bundle for 9th grade heritage courses, courtesy of her Teachers Pay Teachers store Teach Like You Love It, absolutely FREE ($150 value). (If you’ve already purchased this, you are welcome to her bundle of 10th grade materials instead).
Cost: There are a limited number of spots and we like to keep the group small so we can make sure it’s a great experience for everyone. We anticipate that the spots will go fast! Please let us know if you have questions. Link to register can be found HERE.
- Early bird: $250 (+$16.85 fee) by April 15th
- Regular: $275 (+$18.38 fee) by May 15th
- Late: $300 (+$19.89 fee) up until workshop
Content: We are planning sessions on curriculum development, teaching reading, teaching writing, cultivating a love for reading in your students, preventing burnout and finding joy in heritage teaching, as well as either a session or a consistent theme of acknowledging, honoring, and validating identity and language practices in our students. Sessions may be modified or replaced based on the needs of the participants.
Feedback from previous years of this workshop:
“This workshop was worth it. It was interactive, personal, and gave me and my new colleague the confidence we needed to get our program under control. We left with great tools and ideas that we could immediately put into action.” –Meghan Loveless
“As a teacher new to teaching native and heritage speakers of Spanish, I found this workshop invaluable. I left feeling energized, encouraged, and ready to implement all the new ideas and strategies I learned.” –Nina Hidalgo
“I highly recommend the Heritage Teacher Workshop. Throughout the workshop, presenters shared valuable resources, provided access to curriculum and curriculum planning and modeled meaningful instructional strategies that were proven to engage heritage learners. Also, the opportunity to collaborate with heritage teachers from around the country was a welcomed opportunity to learn from each other. This workshop was just what our district team needed to the move the process forward for our students.” –Toni Theisen, Thompson School District World Language and Dual Language TOSA, Loveland, CO; ACTFL President 2013; ACTFL Teacher of the Year 2009
Not ready to sign up yet? Join our mailing list HERE!
Meet your workshop leaders, Adrienne Brandenburg and Mary Beth Johnson
- Have been teaching high school heritage Spanish since 2012 and 2010, respectively
- Have each developed their own heritage curriculum and heritage programs from the ground up
- Have presented on heritage topics at ACTFL, SWCOLT, IFLT, CCFLT, RFILA, PNCFL, AATSP conferences, and the Inspired Proficiency and What in the World? Language podcasts
- Moderate a powerful PLN on Facebook
- Have published essays in books for heritage teachers
- Are active in the ACTFL SIG for Spanish Heritage Learners
- Look forward to working with you!
Questions? Feel free to reach out to us on Facebook, Twitter, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Cancellations: Refunds must be requested in writing to email@example.com before May 15 , 2021, midnight eastern; however, a $50 processing fee will be assessed. Refunds will be processed within 30 days of the request. After May 15, no refunds will be given.