Important COVID-19 UPDATES
Due to Covid-19, this workshop will be offered VIRTUALLY this year only. It will be taught mostly synchronously via a platform like Zoom, with lots of time for participants to reflect, process, and collaborate. It will still be held Tuesday-Thursday, June 16-18, 8:30-4:00. It will be recorded for participants that need to miss sections, and the recordings will be available for a week afterward.
It will still be capped at 25 to ensure a high-quality experience.
One graduate credit is still available through CSU for $63 (see information here).
Prices have been reduced (or refunded for participants who have already registered) to reflect the fact that we no longer need to reserve a large meeting space. The price for tickets from now until we sell out or until the workshop begins is $320.
Adrienne and Mary Beth have put together THREE days with an AMAZING lineup of interactive sessions that will give you some great background knowledge on working successfully with heritage learners, as well as LOTS of time to process the new information…and best of all, time to actually APPLY what you are learning.
We sold out last year, and we have less spots this year, so register ASAP!
When: Tuesday-Thursday, June 16-18, 2020 8:30-4:00
Where: (See update above)
Who: This workshop will cater to teachers who teach (or will teach) classes for Spanish heritage speakers at the middle or high school level, or who are interested in getting a course started. Teachers that teach mixed classes may also benefit from this workshop.
- Download our full page flyer HERE. (Note: this does not include the updates above with regard to COVID 19)
- Participants will receive a certificate for hours completed.
- Graduate credit through Colorado State University will be available; details and info are here.
- All participants will receive Adrienne’s complete course curriculum bundle for 9th grade heritage courses, courtesy of her Teachers Pay Teachers store Teach Like You Love It, absolutely FREE ($150 value).
Cost: (See updated info above – new price is $320 for all remaining spots)
$325 by March 15, $350 from March 16 – April 15, $375 April 16 – May 15. Please note: This workshop will be capped at 25 participants, and spots are first-come, first-served, so these costs are contingent upon spots being available. We expect them to go fast! Link to register can be found HERE.
- Where to start!
- How to write curriculum for a heritage program
- Preventing burnout for heritage teachers
- How to teach writing in your heritage class
- How to build a classroom library and cultivate a love for reading in your heritage class
- And more!
Read some feedback from our previous participants:
“This workshop was worth it. It was interactive, personal, and gave me and my new colleague the confidence we needed to get our program under control. We left with great tools and ideas that we could immediately put into action.” –Meghan Loveless
“As a teacher new to teaching native and heritage speakers of Spanish, I found this workshop invaluable. I left feeling energized, encouraged, and ready to implement all the new ideas and strategies I learned.” –Nina Hidalgo
“I highly recommend the Heritage Teacher Workshop. Throughout the workshop, presenters shared valuable resources, provided access to curriculum and curriculum planning and modeled meaningful instructional strategies that were proven to engage heritage learners. Also, the opportunity to collaborate with heritage teachers from around the country was a welcomed opportunity to learn from each other. This workshop was just what our district team needed to the move the process forward for our students.” –Toni Theisen, Thompson School District World Language and Dual Language TOSA, Loveland, CO; ACTFL President 2013; ACTFL Teacher of the Year 2009
This workshop is perfect for…
- Teachers who have never taught a heritage class, but would like to start one
- Teachers who will teach a heritage class for the first time
- Teachers who have been teaching heritage classes but feel like they are re-creating the wheel every year
- Teachers who are committed to the this class and are craving professional development to be able to reflect on their current practice and take their heritage classes to the next level
- Teams of Spanish teachers
- Department leaders and instructional coaches
Not ready to sign up yet? Join our mailing list HERE!
Meet your workshop leaders, Adrienne Brandenburg and Mary Beth Johnson
- Have been teaching high school heritage Spanish since 2012 and 2010, respectively
- Have each developed their own heritage curriculum and heritage programs from the ground up
- Have presented on heritage topics at ACTFL, IFLT, CCFLT, AATSP conferences, and the Inspired Proficiency and What in the World? Language podcast
- Moderate a powerful PLN on Facebook
- Have published essays in books for heritage teachers
- Are active in the ACTFL SIG for Spanish Heritage Learners
- Look forward to working with you to tailor their advice to YOU!
Questions? Feel free to reach out to us on Facebook, Twitter, or via email at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Cancellations: Refunds must be requested in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org before May 15 , 2020, midnight eastern; however, a $50 processing fee will be assessed. Refunds will be processed within 30 days of the request. After May 15, no refunds will be given.